Skip to main content

Did You Know?

On my journey to Abuja, I met with someone who was a good and friendly company on my journey, his name is Obinna. Well I m sorry his last name I forgot to ask, because like most of us what we are about to be updated with will fascinate you as you haven't pay mind to it before!

Its a word we use randomly everyday and it has different meaning but what caught me most is what Obinna said.
The word is 'cost' and 'dear'
On stopping at the famous lokoja eateries stop enroute to the FCT, I told him that a certain commodity was 'dear' in trying to correct myself to give a polish English I said "it is too expensive".
Obinna smiled and said, Sapele English,( which most known as Pidgin English).

He said you were correct by saying 'dear'. He further more went to say in the western part of Nigeria such as Lagos State the people uses the word 'cost' but on second thought the word 'dear' is the most suitable for the sentence.
I was surprise but keen to hear him take me through so I can understand where he is coming from.
He said even as un-educated as the people in the Delta region  as at that time, our fore fathers spoke good English without even knowing. They did so all in the name of speaking Pidgin. This is because most foreigners dwelled amongst us due to timber in the region in the case of AT&P and also the port in this region and so, this white foreigners speaks and our eager ever learning fore fathers learned

Obinna said in as much as 'dear' is use to express affection, it also means expensive. As something that is dear to you is valuable, that is expensive but cost means something that has to do with a price or money tagged on it for its value, it never implies if it is expensive or affordable.
I told Obinna I will check it up and see if the meaning he gave are correct and bam! Its a sure thing.
Did you know?

- ETB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The New Pre-wedding Style

  A guy on Twitter has given a pre-wedding list for intending couples and suggested that people should not be wasting time on pre-wedding photos instead. 

Painful Tradegy, Night Inferno Kills Family Of Five In Ogun State

Grieving residents of Abule Ake in Idi Aba area of Abeokuta, Ogun State, and members of the Oloruku family are battling to unravel why a woman in a fit of rage killed herself, husband and three children in a night inferno she willfully ignited on the family home.

FIFA President says He is "CLEAN"

    The FIFA president Sepp Blatter told the BBC in an interview that he is "clean" and "the institution is not corrupt".